Here are some answers from NMC’s Student Financial Services department to frequently asked questions about financial aid during the coronavirus crisis. 

Q: If I drop a class, will I have to pay financial aid back?
A: If you attended the class at least once, and then dropped it after the 100% Refund Date, we do not need to adjust aid for the semester — as long as you were still in at least one other class to the end of the semester.

Q: If I drop all of my classes, will I have to pay aid back?
A: If you withdraw from all classes after attending through at least 60% of the semester (example: March 15 was 60% for spring 2020), aid for the semester does not need to be adjusted. If you drop or stop attending prior to 60%, we may need to return aid. If the withdrawal is COVID-19 related, you may qualify for a return waiver. We will reach out to you by NMC email to determine if the waiver applies. Please contact us prior to dropping so we can review how it will affect your aid. For more information, please see: NMC Withdrawals Policy for Financial Aid.

Q: Can I be refunded my tuition and fees if I had to drop classes due to COVID-19 complications after the 100% Refund Date?
A: You can make a refund exception request using this form. We have streamlined the process and will not require additional documentation for COVID-19 related issues. Where possible, NMC will give retake credit for a future semester.

Q: Will I lose my future financial aid if have to withdraw due to COVID-19 complications?
A: To continue financial aid, students need to be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Read NMC’s SAP policy. If you were suspended for aid, you can appeal for reinstatement for COVID-19 related complications. If you are suspended from aid, you can then appeal: Here’s how to submit an SAP Appeal.

Q: My 2020-2021 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) was based on 2018 income. Can my aid (Expected Family Contribution) be recalculated if I currently make less than 2018?
A: If your loss of income has been going on for at least 10 weeks, you can complete an appeal form and provide documentation: Instructions for appeals. Keep in mind that we need to count unemployment payments as income.

Q: How can I get help with expenses related to COVID-19 disruption?
A: Apply for emergency aid here: NMC Emergency Aid Application. Funds are now available for students attending Fall 2020 Semester. Applications must be made by Friday, August 28.

If you applied previously, but were not eligible, and you believe you are now eligible, please send an email to requesting that we reconsider your application.

Q: How can I get help with tuition and fees for the semester?
A: Apply now for scholarships: NMC General Scholarship Application.

  • Completing a FAFSA at will help you maximize your aid options.