TRAVERSE CITY — Eight people will take part in video interviews to become the new president of Northwestern Michigan College. The interviews with the presidential search committee are scheduled from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. August 5 and 6 in rooms 215/217 of NMC’s University Center. The meetings are open to the public.
The candidates are:
- Marcia Conston
- James Conwell
- Marsha Danielson
- Allen Goben
- Tim Meyer
- Nick Nissley
- Thomas Watkins
- Christy Weber
NMC Board Chair Chris Bott said, “The Board is excited to move forward with the important process of choosing the next leader of Northwestern Michigan College. Our institution is strong and is in a good position to attract a competitive pool of candidates. The Board remains committed to identifying the next leader dedicated to preparing our learners and our region for success.”
After the video interviews, the committee will recommend three to five candidates to the Board of Trustees for in-person interviews later in August.
A total of 67 people applied for the position. Presidential search firm The Pauly Group reviewed the applicants to ensure all met the minimum criteria for the job. The Pauly group recommended 20 candidates to the presidential search committee. That committee narrowed the list to eight candidates for video interviews.
This is the culmination of work since Nov. 1, 2018, when current president Timothy J. Nelson announced his intention to retire on Dec. 31, 2019.
- Nov. 27, 2018 – Request for proposals (RFP) put out for search consultant
- Jan. 15, 2019 – Pauly Group selected as the search consultant among four finalists
- Mar. 18 – Community member seats made available on presidential search committee. Holding eight seats, community members are the largest group within the 20-member committee that also includes trustees, faculty and staff.
- April – Consultant holds forums with stakeholder groups on campus and in the community
- May 20 – Presidential profile approved, position advertised with July 7 as the deadline for priority consideration. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, however.
- July 7 – Date for priority applications to be received by Pauly Group
- July 8-9 – Pauly Group conducts initial screenings to select about 20 potential candidates for further Search Committee screening
- July 25 – Search Committee reviews pool and rates each candidate
- August 5-6 – Search Committee interviews semi-finalist candidates via video and recommends 3-5 finalists for further consideration by Board of Trustees through Board interviews and campus forums
NMC’s Board of Trustees expects to name a new president in September, with a start date of Jan. 1, 2020.
For more information and updates to the presidential transition process visit nmc.edu/transition.
Release date: July 31, 2019
For more information:
Executive Director, NMC Public Relations, Marketing & Communications