TRAVERSE CITY — The Third Annual IT Academy Olympics will be held on Friday, May 4, 2018 at the Northwestern Michigan College (NMC) James J. Beckett Building in Traverse City, Michigan.
Sponsored by a variety of local businesses, the competition is designed to give teams of area career and technical education (CTE) students an opportunity to apply their information technology (IT) skills.
First offered in 2016 to infrastructure students at the Traverse Bay Area Intermediate School District (TBAISD) Career-Tech Center (CTC), the competition was expanded in 2017 to include developer students. More than 80 students participated in the 2017 competition, which featured a new website design competition and a robot design course.
CTE students from the Charlevoix-Emmet and Wexford-Missaukee school districts have been invited to participate in this year’s competition.
- 8:30–9:15 a.m. – Registration
- 9:15–9:45 a.m. – Assign teams
- 9:45–10 a.m. – Opening Ceremony
- 10–11:30 a.m. – Session #1
- 11:30–12:15 p.m. – Lunch
- 12:15–1:45 p.m. – Session #2
- 1:50–2:10 p.m. – Group Photo
- 2:15–3:00 p.m. – Closing/Awards Ceremony
- 3 p.m.– Adjourn
The competition is designed to challenge students to apply both their soft and technical skills. Each team of four is comprised of infrastructure and developer students, selected at random from a master roster. During each of the 90-minute morning and afternoon sessions, teams will compete in two of the following four events:
- Build a website per specifications
- Assemble, configure and network a PC
- Prepare a presentation on an IT-related topic
- Program a virtual robot to complete tasks
Gift cards will be awarded to 1st through 5th place teams.
- Colin OBrien, TBAISD Career-Tech Center, Instructor – Information Technology
- Bruce Provencher, TBAISD Career-Tech Center, Instructor – Web and Game Programming
- Scott Goethals, NMC, Faculty, NMC CIT Infrastructure Program
- Lisa Balbach, NMC, Faculty, NMC CIT Developer Program
- David Hosler, NMC, Faculty, NMC CIT Infrastructure Program
- John Velis, NMC, Faculty, NMC CIT Developer Program
Read more at nmc.edu/it-olympics.
Release date: April 16, 2018
For more information:
John Velis, CIT Instructor
Northwestern Michigan College (NMC)