As we begin the spring semester, we’d like to provide you with updates and reminders regarding COVID-19 safety precautions. Our goals remain the same as they have since the pandemic began in March 2020: Keep our campus community safe while limiting the disruption to learning.
- NMC’s requirement that everyone wear face masks while indoors on campus continues into the spring semester. We highly recommend students and employees use N95 or KN95 respirators.
- N95 or KN95 respirators will be made available for the campus community at the following designated locations during regular business hours:
- Main Campus – Health Services (LB106)
- Aero Park Campus – Parsons-Stulen Welcome Desk (PS104)
- Great Lakes Campus – GLMA front desk or GLCI faculty suite
- University Center – Extended Educational Services suite (main entrance)
- Surgical masks are provided at the entrances to all buildings and signage also informs students, faculty and staff and visitors.
- This video shows how to properly wear a face mask and other simple COVID precautions.
Cases on campus reporting:
- As announced in December, cases on campus will be reported via the COVID-19 Dashboard and no longer through campuswide emails. Links to the dashboard may be found on the NMC homepage, MyNMC page (top left corner) and in every issue of the Intercom and Student News email.
- A flowcharts for what to do if a student tests positive has been updated with the newest CDC-recommended quarantine criteria (generally, reduced from 10 to five days). The chart is available on the MyNMC page (top left corner) and on NMC’s COVID hub page.
- NMC will monitor cases on campus and take further action as necessary, such as the temporary shift to online learning that occurred for both Maritime and Law Enforcement programs in the fall semester.
Vaccination and testing:
Vaccines remain the best protection against COVID-19, especially against severe illness. Vaccines are widely available for ages 5 and up.
- NMC will host a free vaccination clinic from 1–4 p.m. Monday, Jan. 24 in the Innovation Center. Visit vaccines.gov to find other locations.
- Testing is available by appointment from NMC Health Services if you are having symptoms or were exposed. Call 231-995-1255. Find other testing locations here (scroll to get tested if you have symptoms).
- We are awaiting the U.S. Supreme Court decision on vaccination and testing requirements for employers. NMC has been working with legal counsel to ensure the college remains in compliance with state and federal requirements. NMC is developing a system to obtain employee vaccination status so we will be ready to proceed when the requirements are confirmed.
- Updated 1/6/22 with the latest CDC guidance:
Release date: JANUARY 13, 2022
For more information:
Associate Vice President of Public Relations, Marketing and Communications