TRAVERSE CITY — Northwestern Michigan College trustees on Monday unanimously selected Pauly Group, Inc. as their search consultant for the next NMC president.
The Springfield, Ill.-based company was among four finalist consultants that trustees interviewed in a special meeting Jan. 9. At Monday’s meeting trustees cited the depth of Pauly Group’s experience in Michigan as among the factors that set it apart.
“They had really strong experience with community colleges and in Michigan,” said board vice chair Rachel Johnson. In its references, Pauly Group cited the placements of the current presidents of North Central Michigan College in Petoskey (2018), Lake Michigan College in Benton Harbor (2017) and Mott Community College in Flint (2014).
NMC will initiate a contract with Pauly Group. In its proposal, Pauly Group estimated fees for the face-to-face services trustees said they preferred at $52,000.
Current NMC President Timothy J. Nelson will retire at the end of 2019. Search updates are available at nmc.edu/transition.
Release date: January 15, 2019
For more information:
Executive Director, Public Relations, Marketing and Communications
NON-DISCRIMINATION POLICY NOTICE
Northwestern Michigan College is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, height, weight, marital status or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions. nmc.edu/non-discrimination
Welcome to the NEW semester at Northwestern Michigan College! NMC has many systems and features available to help students. The following tech tips are designed to inform you about Google Suite, Office 365, NMC Wifi, Network Drives, Email-to-Print, and My Academic Plan (MAP) that NMC currently supports and how you can best make use of these features. Click on the link titles for more detailed information.
Need Free Productivity Tools? Use Google Suite
While on-site at NMC students are encouraged to use the Google Suite of online applications. Google Suite allows multiple users to access and edit documents in real time from any location with an internet connection. Considering this, Google Suite is recommended for any multi-user projects.
From MyNMC visit Gmail, Docs, Drive or the Google Apps launcher to access Google Productivity Tools. Collaborative Google Suite apps include the following and more…:
- Docs: Docs is an online text editor, similar to Word. It is an excellent application for writing reports, papers and other documents.
- Slides: Slides is an online Slideshow creator. Slides is similar to Microsoft Powerpoint.
- Sheets: Sheets is an online spreadsheet editor, similar to MS Excel.
- Drive: Google Drive is a file storage and sharing center where all G suite files are stored in the cloud.
- Forms: Forms is unlike the other applications on this list, Google Forms is an easy to use submission form editor, useful for creating submission applications, questionnaires, and other polling documents. Other uses include sign-in forms, quick quizzes, and information request forms. Google Forms can be configured to output data directly to a google sheets document.
The Power of Office 365 for Free!
The MS Office suite offers Word, Powerpoint, OneNote, Excel, Publisher, Access and More!. All campus computers include the MS Office Suite of applications.
- Office 365: This license is a subscription license, which is fully covered by NMC. To the user this license is entirely free; however, it is only active while the user is studying at NMC.
Get Connected with Free Wifi!!!
NMC’s wireless networks allow students and visitors to access the internet from anywhere on NMC’s campus. Students are also able to access network resources, using Workspace, such as their Q and N drives.
- Student: Similar to the staff network, this requires a valid NMC ID and password upon connection; however, both staff and students can log in to access this network.
- Guest: This network is open to any user that would like to connect, however terms of service must be accepted before the network will connect.
Secure & Safe File Storage on our Q and N Network Drives
NMC has two types of networked storage available to students. All students are allowed access to their personal storage drives through the Q drives.
- Workspace: All of the NMC network drives are accessible off-campus by using the workspace internet file manager located on the MyNMC homescreen. If you need help using workspace there is a training video located Here.
- Q:/ Drive: This is your personal home directory.
- N:/ Drive: Available to select staff and students that share large files over the network, sometimes called Dropboxes, shares located within are only available to select students and staff. Access to shares is given to students based on their minimum need for access.
Have a Device, Want to Print? Use Email-to-Print
All computers at NMC are set up to connect to nearby printers; however, printing may be an issue when using laptops and non-NMC devices. Because of this issue, NMC has implemented many Email-to-Print enabled printers across the campus. These devices allow a user to email a document to print. Many publicly available printers on the campus are enabled to accept emails; however, some are not.
- Orange Tag: To be sure if a printer is Email-to-Print enabled, an orange tag is placed on printers throughout the campus. Printers that support this feature are labeled on the orange tag as “Email-to-Print enabled.”
- New Email: To print to these printers merely open your email program/website, and start a new email with the document of interest as an attachment.
- Recipient: The recipient of this email will be the printer name (which is shown in bold letters and numbers on the orange printer tag) followed by an @nmc.edu email domain. For example, the printer labeled T51-KM will be accepting print jobs from the T51-KM@nmc.edu email address. (the printer address is not case sensitive)
- Document: The Email-to-Print document will print after 60-90 seconds typically.
NMC Account Management: Use Self-Service
Self-Service is the portal used by students that allows them to manage their account, update personal information, register for classes, make payments, order transcripts, and manage financial aid. Self-Service contains several sub-menus, each allowing control over a certain aspect of your account or information at NMC. These menus include:
- Personal Information
- These links allow you to update and view your personal information, as well as the text message opt-in/opt-out for emergencies.
- These links allow you to apply for admission, sign up for orientation, and download important admissions forms.
- These links are setup to lead users through the registration process and allow them to access their schedule once registered.
- Student Records
- This set of links allow students to view their academic records such as grades, holds, transcripts and other information. Other links in this menu include My Academic Plan (MAP), Student Information Release Form, and Grade alerts.
- Student Billing
- The student billing menu contains links important to payment, including class charges, payment plans, and 1098-t tax forms, this menu also contains the links necessary to make payments for flights in the aviation program.
- Financial Aid
- In this menu users can view important messages pertaining to the status of their financial aid, what aid they have been awarded, scholarships awarded eligibility of aid, and the state and federal aid information.
Get to know MAP (My Academic Plan)! Figure out your Academic Plan
MAP is a college course planning system that allows students to view all required courses, overall completion, and future plans for their Program of Study. MAP is accessible through your MyNMC page. If you’d like to create a plan or a “what if” scenario for future semesters please see your advisor.
If you have questions or need more information, please contact the Technology Help Desk via one of the following methods:
- Call 231-995-3020 – 24 hours a day/7 days a week for assistance
- Visit Tanis 51 Help Desk
- Visit Beckett 214 Help Desk and Open Lab
Chat via Chat Here – during regular Help Desk Hours